Good morning! Let’s gather around with our caffeinated beverages to chat about our weeks, our books, and our perspectives. Join our host at Bookishly Boisterous to see what others are sharing.
I feel as though a lifetime has passed since my last Coffee Chat, since every day since has brought so many changes in my life…in all of our lives. We have gone from a “no visitors” policy here in the residence to total lockdown! Yes, we can’t leave our apartments at all.
- Doctor’s appointments are allowed, but only emergency ones. My annual physical has been cancelled, and so has my dental hygiene appointment.
- The lockdown to our apartments started yesterday, after lunch in the dining room. We said goodbye to the friends we won’t see for who knows how long.
- Fortunately, we bookish people can find numerous things to do in our alone time. Stacks of books to read, and, of course, there is blogging.
- Old habits die hard, though, and I’d become so accustomed to coming and going: calling Lyft, heading to a restaurant, or just enjoying being out and about. It’s hard to believe that I could do all of that as recently as a week ago.
- The news is so depressing that I search for it online and scroll through when “enough is enough.”
- On the positive side, I can sleep later, and I am still in my PJs this morning. I will change later, but now I am enjoying how I used to do mornings in my former home…ten months ago? Coffee at the computer, slowly planning out the day.
- Breakfast (and all our meals) will be brought to our apartments. We choose what we want from the menu given the day before. However, judging from last night’s dinner, we are in for a very sub par performance. I guess they need to adjust, too, but why would they forget the coffee and two items I requested?
- Luckily, I have my own food in the fridge, but the last time I shopped, shelves were emptying out rapidly. Even Amazon cannot help with all necessities.
- Lest I turn this into a pity party, I did finish reading a book yesterday that kept me totally engrossed: The Other Mrs., by Mary Kubica.
- The night before, I watched a movie on Prime that I enjoyed: Bombshell, with Nicole Kidman and Charlize Theron, among others.
- I hope to watch Little Fires Everywhere on Hulu. Maybe today!
- I am reading Eight Perfect Murders, which I’m loving. Thanks to all the downloads I haven’t yet read, along with the print volumes that came from Amazon over the past few months, there will be no shortage of reading material!
- And then there is my recent apartment rearrangement. I am enjoying it, and was it prescient of me to do it before the lockdown? My new desk setup in a corner is by a window that faces lovely gardens which should bloom soon. (On the right side of the photo you can glimpse the window. Later I will snap some photos of the outdoors).
So our “new normal,” unpleasant and anxiety-producing though it may be, does present opportunities. For reflection, for reading everything we own, and for learning ways to cope. How are the rest of you?