Good morning, and with my Coffee Mug full, I am ready to share some Bookish/Not So Bookish Thoughts. Visit Christine to link up.
- Last week was hectic, with all of the preparations for my weekend getaway, that celebration of my daughter’s marriage.
- Midweek, I headed to the movies, and saw The Last Word, with Shirley MacLaine…and I loved it. Shirley plays an aging woman who hires someone to write her obituary…so she can have some control over what is said. But it’s also about a journey, including an emotional road trip, and finding ways to reconnect.
- After the distractions and planning, the day finally arrived. Friday we took off, with bags loaded up in the van, and we were in good spirits. Heather took this selfie…
- The journey was smooth…until it wasn’t. Just after the James Dean Memorial on Hwy. 46, traffic slowed to a crawl. We thought there might be road construction, but two hours later, we finally saw the cause: a truck turned on its side and blocking the lanes, with two crushed cars. Sadly, someone died in that crash. We felt guilty then for being so annoyed by the delay.
- We stopped farther along for some wine tasting, and then finally arrived in Cayucos, where we would be staying.
- The next day, after a Continental breakfast, we started getting ready…and at 1:30, the wedding began…on the beach outside the hotel:
- A lunch afterwards, at Schooner’s, was an opportunity to chat with other friends and relatives…and to celebrate the bride and groom some more. Check out my fish and chips plate (below), and I think Heather is looking at David’s lunch.
- We stayed until Sunday, and then headed back, with no delays along the route. That night, David’s brother hosted a backyard reception…I took an Uber to the reception, since I knew there would not be much parking for the guests. After the food, Heather set up some fun “framed” photos:
- Every day this week, I’ve been busy with something or other, in addition to unpacking. I had lunch with an old friend on Monday…and enjoyed this Blood Orange Martini before my salad arrived:
- Yesterday, I went to my daughter’s salon and had a massage…and a hair makeover:
- Oddly enough, with all the activities of the weekend, I managed to read a book, in addition to the two I had already finished last week. Small Hours (click for my review) was a good one, as it absorbed me completely…I read at night, but also in the early morning on the terrace:
- Back home, I’ve been loving Grace and Frankie’s Season III on Netflix.
- I finished all five seasons of Scandal on Netflix last week…and now I’m ready for Season 6, which is in progress on ABC.
- Finished Big Little Lies on Sunday…and I’ve saved all the episodes so I can binge-watch them…whenever.
- I’m ready for a day at home, reading One Perfect Lie, a NetGalley review book. I’d been enjoying it, thinking I had it figured out, but suddenly there was a twist I wasn’t expecting…and now I must finish it today!
So…these are some of my thoughts…what are yours?